• Co-op,  Community

Our Homeschool Week During Co-op Semester

Are you a member of a homeschool co-op? We have been a part of BLHC for 2 1/2 years and we absolutely love it! I have been an educator with our co-op for 2 years and truly enjoy the opportunity to teach my own kids alongside other children in a classroom setting. We host our co-op classes at local parks so the kids can run and play on the playground in between classes. It is almost a ‘high school’ scheduling system and I believe this helps teach kids time management and independence. Although we are so busy during co-op semester, we all love it and look forward to it each…

Comments Off on Our Homeschool Week During Co-op Semester
  • Community,  Q + A

Q + A with Brianna Kidd

What is your name and general location? My name is Brianna, and I’m the shop owner of Foundling Book Shop. I live in the mid-south in a small suburban city. We are very near to rivers, lakes, mountains, and farmland in all directions. How many children do you have and what are their ages? My husband and I have three children; our oldest is almost six, our middle is four and a half, and our youngest is 16 months. What are the main reasons you chose to home educate? There are so many! My initial reason was my time as an intern in the public school system. I felt very…

Comments Off on Q + A with Brianna Kidd
  • Community,  Q + A

Q + A with Laura Stroup

What is your name and general location? My name is Laura Stroup. We live in the  Missouri Ozarks. How many children do you have and what are their ages?  3 kids – 9, 6, and 6 months. We have adopted all of our kids. Being a multiracial family has its challenges, but they are such a blessing to us. Our family is perfect just the way it is. What are the main reasons you chose to home educate?  We want our kids to have the freedom to be themselves and learn in ways that best suit them and our family as a whole. We also like that our kids can…

Comments Off on Q + A with Laura Stroup
  • Community,  Q + A

Q + A with Kat Kerr

What is your name and general location? Kat, Sacramento, California How many children do you have and what are their ages? Two boys (5 & 2) What are the main reasons you chose to home educate? We’ve decided to home educate because we want to allow more time together. More time to play. More time for experiences. More time to simply be. Part of that stems from losing my mother when I was a teenager. Since then, I’ve been acutely aware that our time together is limited. I want to spend as much time with my kids as I can, because that time together isn’t guaranteed. Do you follow a…

Comments Off on Q + A with Kat Kerr
  • Community,  Q + A

Q + A with Rae Murdock

What is your name and general location?  ​Rae Murdock. We live in Sunset, Louisiana. How many children do you have and what are their ages?  ​Two girls. Morgan, age 8 & Macy, age 6 What are the main reasons you chose to home educate?  ​There are several reasons we have chosen to home educate. Primarily we live in an area that has an unfortunately undesirable public school system. They are grossly underfunded, and many public educators I know have expressed an inability to teach/control their classroom because of the policies enacted by state law makers.  Because the public schools are in the state they are in, we have a couple of private…

Comments Off on Q + A with Rae Murdock
  • Community,  Q + A

Q + A with Misty Dixon

Q + A with Misty Dixon from southeast North Carolina     How many children do you have and what are their ages?  I have 3 children. My oldest is 19, and currently away at University. Before that, he was homeschooled. My daughter is 14, and my youngest son is 8. What are the main reasons you chose to home educate?  We first chose to home educate because we weren’t 100% satisfied with any of the other options. Now we continue to home educate because it suits our family so well. I can’t imagine doing anything else. Do you follow a specific method or style of teaching?  I feel like…

• Community,  Self-Care & Parenting

Living With Intention

As the new school year is rolling around and already starting for some, I wanted to address a simple thought, Living With Intention. Amidst the hustle and bustle of normal daily mom-life, do you ever feel discouraged? Run down? Have moments of self-doubt? I think we all do and we owe it to ourselves to push those negative thoughts out of our hearts and our minds. Each and every mother has a million tasks on their plate, a million thoughts running through their mind, a million pressures from various sources. We have to be firm but caring, a provider but also a disciplinary, a giver and a taker, and multi-task…

Comments Off on Living With Intention
  • tiger, endangered, world, globe, global, tiger day, day, international, holiday, save, help, learn, learning, unit study, animals, world animals, protect
    Community,  Nature,  Resources

Global Tiger Day

Today I want to bring awareness to something that is important. This blog post may be disheartening, but hopefully, by the end, you will leave with a sense of hope and some tools to help undo the devastating decimation of a particularly beautiful animal. The Tiger. July 29th is International Tiger Day. I know there has been a bombardment of various ‘holidays’ and dates coined by companies trying to push something or sell a product. This is different. This is concerning an issue that affects our earth and our ecosystem and our future. The Facts: According to the WWF there are only 3900 wild tigers left in the world. That’s…

Comments Off on Global Tiger Day
  • Community,  Resources,  STEM

Libraries: Beyond The Books

I know that everyone knows the value of checking out books from the library. Finding endless imaginative stories and information in the texts while promoting responsibility and respect when borrowing/returning products on time are important. Teaching kids how to look up a book title or author using the library’s website, searching by alphabetical order, or learning the cataloging system is a beneficial skill that will help them gain independence. But is that all the library has to offer? NO WAY! I’m not sure if this is the case with all libraries, but our local libraries have a friends of the library program. People donate their used books and media or…

Comments Off on Libraries: Beyond The Books
  • animals, tree, bats, home, moon, star, colony, nest, mammals, learn, learning, homeschool, home, school, education, home education, learn, learning, unschool, unschooling, nature, child, children, child-led learning, observing, observation
    Co-op,  Community,  Nature,  Unit Study

Summertime

Is school out for summer at your house? Growing up, I never had a concept of a ‘real kid’ summer. I had divorced parents, which meant two different households. All school year, I lived with my Mom, and for the summer, I went to my Dad’s. It was bittersweet because on the one hand, I missed all of my school friends (and would get quite jealous when I came back after summer break and heard about all the fun and wonderful adventures they had without me), but summers with my Dad were awesome because we took A LOT of trips and I got to see much of our beautiful country…

Comments Off on Summertime